Love, Laughter and Friends are Always Welcome

Some people come into our lives and quickly go ... some people stay a while and leave footprints on our hearts ... and we are never the same.

Monday, January 16, 2012

"A Hair of His Head Shall Not Fall to the Ground Unnoticed" D&C 84:116


The other day I was reading in the Doctrine and Covenants. A scripture popped out at me, as scriptures tend to do sometimes. It was such a random scripture and one that you would usually pass over in your reading. The scripture was; "Let him trust in me and he shall not be confounded; and a hair of his head shall not fall to the ground unnoticed" D&C 84:116. I thought about a hair from your head. Have you ever noticed the amount of hair that you pull from your hairbrush after brushing your hair? You really don't miss them from your head and you wouldn't know they were gone if you didn't find them in your brush. But the Lord notices, a hair is such a little thing but He notices when it falls. That thought stuck in my mind for a few days and every time I would see a hair I would think that the Lord has noticed this hair.

Yesterday just as we were sitting down to dinner the phone rang. The call display said the call was from Utah but I didn’t recognize the number. When I answered, it was an Elder Lund calling from Lisbon, Portugal. At first I was worried about Sister Thomas. She has been serving a mission in Lisbon and has been there for only two weeks. Elder and Sister Lund are also serving a mission in Lisbon. They told me that they had spent the evening with Sister Thomas and what a wonderful sister she was. Sister Lund had given her a hug and fed Sister Thomas and her companion brownies. They also told me that she looks good and has a sweet spirit about her. Sister Lund also asked about what kind of cake Sister Thomas likes because she wants to make a cake for her and make sure that she gets her birthday parcel on her birthday next Tuesday. The joy that filled my heart after talking to the Lund’s was indescribable. I had been so worried about my daughter, in a new country, learning a new language and being alone. There in the mission field was a senior couple from Utah with loving hearts taking care of my daughter and the other missionaries in Lisbon.

I thought again about the lost hairs in a hairbrush. The Lord notices us; He knows when we need a little help or comfort. Having someone in Lisbon who would love and care for my daughter may have been just a little thing in the eyes of the world, but to me it was a big concern. I am so grateful for senior missionaries who serve around the world and the love and support that they offer to young missionaries.  “A hair of his head will not fall to the ground unnoticed.”

No comments: